6.24.2009

The Last Ninety Days.

I read thirty books in twenty six days. June 24th was my deadline. 30
in 26 just doesn't sound as cool. So that is roughly 1.153846 days for
every book. (editor's note: if you're going out to 6 decimal points, I
don't think it counts as "roughly" anymore) I had fun with 80% of this
challenge. The last two weeks wore on me. I wanted to do anything other
then read. I got past it, with the help of a good book, and finished up
with only *some* whining - Most of which was edited out by the editor.
(editor's note: I like to think I made you look stronger. Like James
Cameron to Ellen Ripley) I don't know how else to end this then to
answer some of the questions I've been asked in the last weeks.


So do I hate reading yet?
No. In fact I'm pretty sure tonight I'm going to start another Mary
Roach book about sex. I will however need to do some SNES playing and
probably watch a season or two of TV to feel balanced out again.

Did I learn anything?
I learned that I can inspire others to do things they normally
wouldn't. My good friend Chris is trying to play thirteen video games
in thirteen weeks, and another friend is going to try and make thirty
art pieces in ninety days. I wish them both (or anyone trying something
like this) luck. overdoing something can drive you pretty close to the
edge of hating it.

The worst part?
Getting a snide comment from the author of one of the books I read that
I didn't like. One that I felt I couldn't post, because it claimed to
be the author but was posted anonymously. So who knows, maybe it was
just a fan who got angry. The snide comment was that I transposed a
letter in the authors name in the title. It was from this they
concluded that I wasn't really "savoring" the books I was reading and
that was why I really didn't like the book. The funny part was, I had
his name right in the body of the review, it was just a typing error. I
read these books only slightly faster then I normally read. My dislike
or like of book has nothing to do with the pace that I read at. My
opinion was based on what I did or didn't take away from the book.

I can honestly say I didn't post the comment because it was anonymous
(but claimed to be the author in the body) so I couldn't respond. Books
should open up a discussion, that's one of the great thigns about them.
I can absolutely hate your favorite book and we can have an open
discussion about all the things I hated or you loved. If I had been
able to respond to the comment, I'd have done so in the hope of
fostering that discussion.

The best part?
Finding a new book for my desert island top five in book #11, Love is a
Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield. I meant
what I said when I reviewed it, I will buy a copy to keep around and
re-read over and over again.

What do I think of the Multnomah County Library system?
If you live in the Portland Metro Area you are lucky to have this
Library system at your disposal. My Library of choice is Midland, it's
hands down the best one in town. The holds and e-mail notices are
great. I could renew online, see where I am in queue for a book and pay
my late fees from any computer in the world. I'm still on hold for
about seven of the books I wanted to read and will pick them up as they
come in. I couldn't have done this challenge without the help of the
library, there is no way I could have purchased all these books. Even
at Powell's awesome used prices. Please don't read this as I'm
anti-book buying, as one of my dreams involves me someday having a room
covered in bookcases filled with books.

Would I do it again?
No. Er, maybe? I say no right now because I still have a bitter taste
in my mouth from forcing myself to read like it were my job. Once that
has been washed away by a few sweet sunny days in the grass with a good
book, I'll probably change my tune. Maybe try for something like thirty
books every ninety days for a year - ninety books in 365 days? Still
works out to a book every three days. Not so bad, right?

Holy fuck, I'm insane. (editor's note: There is no fucking way I'm

letting you do that to yourself)

What do I plan to do with this blog now?
Keep reviewing books as I read them, until I change my mind.

What was my favorite and least favorite reads?
You can pretty much tell from my reviews what books I like and what I
didn't, so to find out go back in the older post and check it out.

Where did reading thirty books in ninety days come from?
I have no idea. A while ago the idea struck me - when and why I can't
recall - and I tried to do this same challenge. I failed and only read
twenty five books, fourteen of which I read on a beach in Hawaii over a
ten day period. That is why this time around I added the review component
to help keep me on track.

This was a good experience, trying and hard to explain, but good. So if
you'll excuse me I have a date with a SNES.

Thanks for reading!
-Bobbie

No comments:

Post a Comment