4.30.2009

Book #3 I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

I Was Told There'd Be Cake
By Sloane Crosley
Published by Riverhead Books, 2008
ISBN 159448306X, 9781594483066
230 pages

Dilemma: So what the hell do I do if one of these 30 books is terrible? Do I make myself finish it or do I just lose the time/pages and move on? Three times I almost tossed book 3 down and moved on, but I didn't, I finished the stupid book.

I should have loved this book, it was right in my wheelhouse. I should be raving that Sloane Crosley is talking to my childhood experience, these are memoirs from a lax Jew, just like me. But I'm not raving. I'm bitching about how truly awful this damn thing was. I read the first essay, The Pony Project, in a magazine awhile back and loved it. I thought the rest of her work would be similarly enjoyable. It's not. It's narcissistic and infantile at best.

Theses essays are desprate to be taken seriously and seen as adult. The book feels like a twelve year old girl in her older sisters outfit and make up, screaming for you to see her as an adult. The adult facade is laughable. Crosley doesn't sound or look or feel adult. The facade makes her look like a slutty doll. This book reads like a slutty doll vomiting endless insecurity onto the page. Don't waste your time.

One Star out of Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment